June 6th, 2010
Next time you’re flicking through your local newspaper, take a good hard look at the ads. And notice how many of them give you a compelling reason to pick up the phone and get in touch with them now. You’ll need to look closely because…
FINDING AN AD WITH A POWERFUL, KNOCK-EM DEAD OFFER IS LIKE LOOKING FOR A NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK
But why is a powerful offer so important?
Listen: People will only give your ad a few seconds. If you’re lucky enough to catch them with a strong headline, then they’ll read your ad, but if they get to the end of it and there’s not a dynamite offer to knock their socks off, they’ll turn over to the next page, and your opportunity is gone, FOREVER.
You need to apply offers differently based on the type of business you operate.
1. A service business with a high-value product (solicitor, accountant, real estate agent, consultant, copywriter) could offer a FREE REPORT of some sort. Here’s some examples:
* Free Report Reveals How To Make Your Assets As Secure As Fort Knox And Deter Any Scumbag From Taking Everything You’ve Got (solicitor)
* Free Report Reveals How To Sell Your Home Faster And For A Higher Price (real estate agent – for generating listings)
* Free Report Reveals How To Write Ads And Sales Letters That Practically Make People Line Up And Beg You To Take Their Money (copywriter)
Get the idea?
2. A business which has products which customers keep buying over and over again (e.g. ice cream shop, grocer, restaurant, hairdresser, etc) would approach things a little differently. Here’s some examples:
* Anyone who says there’s no such thing as a Free Lunch hasn’t read this letter
* Free Ice Cream. simply present this offer in our store before (date) to collect yours
* Free Haircut to introduce you to our new salon
Now you may well wonder, how can I make any money by giving everything away for FREE, Which is the exact question I am going to answer in
Copywriting Selling Secret # 6
So pay careful attention to the next article, because once you “really get” this principle it could change your business life.
About The Author
Scott Bywater is well known for getting results as a professional direct mail copywriter. And also the author of Cash-Flow Advertising. To get a free subscription to his “Copywriting Selling Secrets” newsletter where you’ll discover the truth about why most ads and sales letters don’t work (And how to make yours different) scamper over to his web site at: http://www.copywritingthatsells.com.au